Sunday, June 10, 2018

The Stanley Cup and My Continuing Pursuit of Riding in 50 States


The Stanley Cup Gamewatch

I have been back in Maryland since late Wednesday night but just getting a chance to sit down and make a new post.  Between Tuesday and Wednesday, I spent 24 hours in the car driving back from Kansas.  I got home Wednesday night at 1 a.m., and on Thursday my daughter and I were downtown by noon.  They changed the process for getting into the gamewatch.  You had to attend the women’s professional basketball game in the arena at 3 p.m. that afternoon in order to be in there that evening for the gamewatch.  Needless to say we went down early to make sure we got in.  The experience at the gamewatch for Game 5 was terrific….just like being at the game except that everyone was watching it on the screen rather than on the ice.  When we were outside waiting to go in, my daughter got interviewed by a reporter for the local TV station about carrying my wife’s jersey and the picture Marci had of herself and my wife from many years ago, both of them in their Caps jerseys.  It’s a short clip….if you want to see it, it is at: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/caps-mom_Washington-DC-484896671.html

We spend the whole game holding my wife Dot’s jersey, cheering, groaning when the Caps fell behind at the end of the second period, and then rejoicing when in a three minute span around the middle of the third period they came from behind to take a one goal lead with 7 ½ minutes to go. 
It was the longest 457 seconds I’ve ever experienced.   Everyone around us had asked about Dot’s jersey and when the Caps finally won after rejoicing, everyone around us gave us warm hugs.  They all knew how special being there was for us.

In the arena that night, we were not the only ones with tears pouring down our cheeks when they won!  Out on the street afterwards it was one big celebration.  People were just coming up and shaking hands and hugging total strangers.  It was amazing that with as big of a crowd as there was, there was absolutely no trouble—the DCPD said there was a grand total of one arrest that evening.  It was a wonderful time, and both Marci and I, besides being happy to have been there with 18,000 others to cheer on the Caps, took great comfort in having made good on the promise to my wife that she would be there when the Caps went to the Stanley Cup finals.

The Pursuit of Riding in all 50 States

So where does this leave my pursuit of riding in all 50 states?  I had hoped that when I spent the night in Illinois across from St. Louis, I would have time to take a ride a couple of miles to the bicycle bridge across the Mississippi River to the Missouri side, thus getting the two states I decided to skip while leaving the tour early.  However, I realized that to wait until late morning to leave for Maryland would have me driving into the middle of the night.  I had also originally planned that after leaving the tour at Champaign, I would drive to Iowa City, Iowa to ride there, then go to South Bend to ride a trail from Indiana up into Michigan and back to get those three states.

In early August I will be going to Cleveland to see my daughter Marci compete in the National Triathlon Age-Group Championships.  I intend in conjunction with that trip to also drive to get the five states that I was originally going to get this week.  I’m still making those plans, and the plans to head south for the Hotter N Hell Hundred in Texas in August.  On that trip I hope to do rides in Tennnessee, Arkansas, Lousiana and Mississippi so that I reach 39 states.

Although this summer’s trip is over, I’ll continue to use this blog to write about my quest to ride in all 50 states, which I hope to complete by my 70th birthday in August 2020.  I’ll probably finalize plans for the August Midwest trip sometime next month and will tell you about them here.

Meanwhile, I took my first ride today after getting home--a modest 25-miler.  I'll finally close out my Stanley Cup activities on Tuesday when I go downtown for the celebration parade and rally.  Until then....

We Won the Cup!  We Won the Cup!

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment