Saturday, June 2, 2018

Day 7--Why Was Today's Ride So Long?


The answer my friend is blowing in the wind!  And it sure blew today…20-30 mph sustained winds with higher gusts.  For the first 25 miles it was a cross wind that blew us around on the shoulder.  Then it slowly moved around to come out of the East as a wicked headwind.  And it never stopped blowing.  Today’s ride was a real slog for everyone because of the wind.  It was tough physically.  It was tough mentally.  In fact for me, except for the rides two years ago on the tour when I was fighting bronchitis, this was the physically most difficult ride I ever remember.
Since it took a tight hand on the handlebar today I only had a chance to shoot two pictures—the “halfway between New York and San Francisco” sign in Kinsley, Kansas, and a shot to show how hard the wind was blowing.  That grass is horizontal from the wind!  It was indeed a windy day.  One that I hope is not repeated on this tour!



As usual, here is the excruciating data from today’s ride.  

But now onto more important things.  Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final.  Let’s Go Caps!

2 comments:

  1. I hope today is a whole lot easier! Of course, the Caps win should help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Caps win was wonderful. Just two more!

    ReplyDelete